Monday, January 16, 2017

National recognition for Jose Antonio Navarro

The world is recognizing my great ancestor Jose Antonio Navarro currently in many ways.  I am going to tell you about three of them.  The first is that his home in San Antonio, Texas which currently is a State Historical site has now been designated as a National Historic site in San Antonio, Texas.  The second was brought to my attention by my son-in-law who is a world traveler for his work.  While visiting my daughter and him.  He told me he had something he wanted to show me. Also on this visit was my sister Linda.  I have to mention her because of how this story goes.  He went into his house and brought out an opened passport to the section where there were additional pages and handed it to me.  I was looking at the open passport wondering what was it I was suppose to see.  I was thinking of the usual, stamps of the various places around the world since he had traveled to so extensively I wasn't seeing what he wanted me to see.  He then said, "You don't see it do you?"  I didn't. He then said, "Give it to Linda."  When I did she said, "Oh! my God!  She then handed it back to me and pointed out what I had missed.  On the top of those additional pages were quotes from famous people, like Abraham Lincoln, among others, and there was Jose Antonio Navarro's quote, "I have sworn to be a Texan and that I will never forswear."  I was amazed.

The third recognition is about what is coming in the year 2018 as San Antonio celebrates it's 300th birthday.  The country of Corsica, France is sending a delegation of 15 people to honor Jose's father Angel Navarro who was born in Corsica in about 1748.  They will be coming to visit the organization that I am a Director in.  It is called Friends of Casa Navarro. The Casa Navarro is located on 228 Laredo St. in San Antonio, Texas and can be visited 6 days a week.  They are closed on Mondays.  If you come to visit San Antonio and see all of it's history and wonders please stop by the Casa Navarro and learn of this famous Texan and all he did.  Tell them I told you about it.    

No comments:

Post a Comment